Cancer Centre for Children at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
Enquiries: 9845 2134
Current patients' appointments: 9845 2115
Fax: 9845 2171
Camperdown ward: Level 2 opposite The Starlight Room
Oncology Treament Centre: Level 2 off Ward Street.
The Cancer Centre for Children at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead is the largest children's cancer unit in NSW. Up to 150 new children with cancer are referred to the Centre each year.
Our clinical services cover the diagnosis and treatment of all forms of childhood cancer and leukaemia and include:
- Dedicated inpatient ward for acute care Camperdown Ward (Oncology inpatient care)
- Outpatient treatment centre for ongoing management and support care
- Bone marrow transplantation service
- Neuro-oncology service
- Radiation oncology
- Psychological and support services
- Palliative care and bereavement support
- Late effects clinic
- Education of parents/families and health professionals
- Clinical research and clinical trials, including participation in the research trials of the US Children's Oncology Group (COG).
Referrals and appointments
- Referral of a child with the possible diagnosis of cancer and leukaemia should be via prompt contact with the oncologist on-call, available 24 hours per day via the Hospital switchboard on (02) 9845 0000.
- Children may come to the outpatient clinic to receive cancer treatement. Patients who are already under the care of the Cancer Centre for Children may make appointments to attend the outpatient clinic by phoning (02) 9845 2115.
- Referral to other clinics within the Cancer Centre for Children, including the Late Effects and BMT Clinics, is made by the treating oncologist.
- Camperdown Ward provides inpatient care for children who are under the care of the Cancer Centre for Children and is found on Level 2 of the hospital opposite The Starlight Room.
Children's Cancer Research Unit
Our laboratory research arm is conducted within the Children's Cancer Research Unit (CCRU). As part of Kids Research, the CCRU is affiliated with the University of Sydney and aims for the highest standards in diagnosis, research, treatment and support.
The unit provides environment and resources for post-graduate study.
- Camperdown Ward Information Sheet
- What happens in the Cancer Ward?
- Brain tumours factsheet
- Ewing's Sarcoma factsheet
- Neuroblastoma factsheet
- Infant Neuroblastoma factsheet
- Osteosarcoma factsheet
- Rhabdomyosarcoma factsheet
- Wilms's Tumour factsheet
- Blood and blood counts factsheet
- Nausea and vomiting factsheet
- Oncology Long Term Follow-Up Clinic
- Buy 'Wondero and the central line' from the Kids Health bookshop
- Buy 'Wondero and the bone marrow transplant' from the Kids Health bookshop
- The Tumour Bank facilitates cancer research locally, nationally and internationally.
Consultant Paediatric Oncologists
Dr Luciano Dalla Pozza, Head
Dr Mary Bergin
Dr Michael Stevens
Prof Stewart Kellie, University of Sydney
Dr Geoffrey McCowage
Prof Peter Shaw, University of Sydney
Dr Melissa Gabriel
Dr Steven Keogh
Other Medical Staff
Advanced Trainees in Paediatric Oncology (Fellows, four positions)
Career Medical Officers (five positions)
Consultant Radiation Oncologists
Long Term Follow up Physician
Scientific and Support Staff:
Bone Marrow Transplantation Scientist
Bone Marrow Transplantation Nurse Consultant
Clinical Research Associates (Data Managers)
Long Term Follow Up Nurse Specialists
Oncology Nurse Consultant
Oncology Nurse Educators
Oncology Home Care Nurse