Pain Medicine at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Phone: (02) 9382 1625/1817
Fax: (02) 9382 7946
The pain medicine team at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick (SCH) provide a comprehensive service to children suffering from pain disorders.
Chronic pain is often caused by an existing health condition and can be difficult to treat without a thorough assessment, appropriate medication or therapies and education.
The specialist team of doctors, nurses and allied health professionals in the pain medicine team provide the following services:
- Management of acute pain including opiate infusion, patient controlled analgesia, continuous epidural infusion and regional local anaesthetic blocks
- Entonox (Nitrous Oxide) administration
- Chronic pain management for inpatients and a multidisciplinary pain clinic
- Educational service for health professionals
- Research into children's pain.
See also: Palliative Care
SCH offers a fortnightly full day multidisciplinary Chronic Pain clinic by referral only. The service provides inpatient consultations and an intensive rehabilitation program for planned admissions and patients under consultation from other primary teams. The service will also attend other speciality clinics to review patients with complex pain issues at their post operative follow up appointment.
The SCH service also offers outpatient appointments for Allied Health Interventions and consultations at regular intervals between clinics. The Allied Health component of the team also offers quarterly full day sessions for Pain Management to Adolescent groups.