Social Work at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Phone: (02) 9382 1021
Fax: (02) 9382 1200
Allied Health North, Level 0, Sydney Children's Hospital High Street Randwick NSW 2031.
A child’s health condition can impact on their own and other family members’ emotional and social well-being. Social workers at the Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick work with children, young people and their families to enhance coping and adjustment to the health condition.
The Social Workers in the Department work closely with clinical teams so have specialist knowledge and skills in a range of areas such as critical care, rehabilitation, chronic illnesses and disabilities and palliative care.
The Social Work Department provides a service via referral to all inpatients and continues to work with some children and young people and their families after they leave the Hospital.
Social Workers also attend various Outpatient clinics associated with their clinical team.
How can a social worker help me?
Some of the ways we can help include:
• Assisting in the adjustment to changes, grief and loss.
• Supporting families during a crisis or trauma.
• Enhancing the families’ management of chronic illness.
• Counselling for children, young people, their families /carers.
• Accessing resources and supports.
• Providing relevant information and education regarding child development and family wellbeing.
• Bereavement Support.
How to contact a social worker
If you would like to see a Social Worker you may ask your doctor, nurse or another allied health professional to organise this for you, or you may contact the Social Work Department directly.
Office Hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm. An After Hours Social Work Service is provided in particular crisis situations.
The following support services may be useful to families of the Hospital:
- Ageing Disability and Home Care
- Beyond Blue
- Carers NSW
- Child Protection Line: 132 111
- Child with Disability Australia
- Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres
- Domestic Violence Line: 1800 656 463
- Health Care Interpreters: 9828 6088
- Ideas Disability Info Line
- Kids Help Line
- MensLine Australia
- My Time
- Reach Out
- Relationships Australia
- St Vincent de Paul
- Sane Australia 1800 18 72 63
- Siblings Australia
- Women’s Legal Services: (02) 8745 6988 or 1800 801 501