Learn with us
The Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network Education Service is informed by evaluation, emerging trends and new technology, with a whole of workforce perspective. Specialised programs ensure staff are highly qualified in service delivery and patient care.
Working in collaboration with key educational providers, including the Health Education and Training Institute (HETI), universities, professional colleges and other educational agencies, the Network hosts and delivers key programs of paediatric and inter-professional focus.
Education and training opportunities from some of our ongoing providers can be viewed in the left-hand menu.
Other upcoming events and training programs are below:
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Training Day
The FASD Training Day will be run by the CICADA Centre NSW FASD clinical team to empower GPs, paediatricians, psychiatrists, allied and mental health professionals to develop knowledge and skills in FASD.
- Understanding the new Australian FASD diagnostic guidelines
- Incorporating the guidelines in clinical practice
- Developing intervention and support plans for people with FASD
Time: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Date: Tuesday 8 August
Venue: Lorimer Dodds Lecture Theatre, The Children's Hospital at Westmead (level 4)
Full Registration closes 30 July and Early bird before 30 June.
For more information contact Jennifer Hort on 9845 2446 or Email: SCHN-CICADA@health.nsw.gov.au
28th Annual Susan Ryan Neonatal Seminar
The Vulnerable Brain in the Neonatal Unit: A Developmental Journey
We are privileged to have Dr Joy Browne from the NIDCAP Training Centre in Colorado, USA as a key presenter who will provide a challenging perspective on sounds in the NICU and the important role of the mother’s voice.
Topics range from protecting the developing neonatal brain during surgery to the stresses experienced by staff and families on the NICU.
- Friday 4 August
- Rydges Hotel Parramatta
- Standard registration $200.00
- Early bird $150.00 if registered by Friday, June 30
- This event has a No Refund policy
Welcome – Opening Address
The Vulnerable Brain
Staff Specialist - Neonatologist
Challenges for Protecting the Neonatal Brain During Surgery
Senior Staff Specialist in Paediatric Anaesthesia | Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Sydney
Hypoglycaemia and the Brain: A Case Study
Clinical Nurse Educator
1000 – 1030
Sounds in the NICU
Rhythms in the Nursery: It Starts with Listening to Mum
Director Colorado NIDCAP Training Centre, USA
Music as Therapy for Infants
Music Therapist - CHW
The Impact of Environmental Sounds in the
NICU and SCN
1200 – 1300
BWS + Stress = Statistics
Mother to Nicola
Identifying Infant Stress: A Powerful Skill for
Kristen James Nunez
Nurse Practitioner – GCNC
Burnout and Traumatic Stress in NICU nurses
Panel – Reducing Stress
Facilitator: Kaye Spence Panel: Joy Browne, Claire Galea,
Peter Barr, Kristen James Nunez, Holly Murphy
1430 – 1500
Support for infants during procedures
Registered Nurse – NIDCAP Trainee GCNC
Parents perceptions of needs and support
Clinical Nurse Educator – GCNC
Leading a healthy brain – staff support
Nurse Manager – GCNC
Like more information?
- Email Grace Centre for Newborn Care or call Kaye Spence on 9845 2720 or Anna Disney on 9845 2738
Paediatric allergy workshop for nurses
This workshop will explain the basics of allergy and explore the latest research and treatments. The workshop is designed for nurses working in a range of clinical settings.
- When: Wednesday 2 August 2017
- Where: The Children's Hospital at Westmead, Lorimer Dods Lecture Theatre, Level 4.
- Cost: $20 as donation to the Research Fund of the Department of Allergy and Immunology.
Session One Chair: Kathryn Mulligan
Session Two Chair: Kathryn Mulligan
Carolina Valerio/Merilyn Macarthur
Allergy vs. intolerance
Infant feeding guidelines
Prof Dianne Campbell
Session Three Chair: Kathryn Mulligan
Anaphylaxis Management in a primary health setting & the community
Margot Treloar/Kylie Hollinshead/Kath Mulligan
Case study/Panel Discussion
Interested in coming along?
Like more information?
Paediatric Postgraduate Weekend for General Practitioners
The Paediatric Postgraduate Weekend for General Practitioners is a two–day course for general practitioners. It is held on an annual basis with GPs attending from all over NSW. The course consists of a program with a wide variety of topics to update knowledge and skills in paediatrics for the general practitioner. The focus is to highlight current advances in research and practice and to cover changes in the management of paediatric problems.
The conference has been designed for maximum participation and interaction with participants. There is an emphasis on small group practical and case study sessions. Presentations provide a wide coverage of topics and opportunities for participants
to ask questions.
- Saturday 5 August 2017 8.30am – 5pm
- Sunday 6 August 2017 9.00am – 3pm
- Lorimer Dods Lecture Theatre, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- $297.00 if paid before 14 July 2017
- $350.00 if paid after 14 July 2017
- 1 day registration is available for $190.
- Includes GST, conference notes, morning and afternoon teas and lunches.
Cancellation and refunds
- Cancellations made prior to 24/07/17 will be charged $95.
- Cancellations made on or before 28/07/17 will be charged a cancellation fee of $132.00.
No refunds will be issued after 28/07/17.
- Application for a refund must be made in writing and sent with the original receipt for conference payment.
- Limited parking is available in the visitors’ car park.
Grand Rounds at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
NSW Health employees outside the Sydney Children's Hospitals Network can access Grand Rounds online. Network staff should access via the intranet.