Light it Purple Campaign Update
We thought it might be time to update everyone in relation to the 'Light it Purple for World Prematurity Day' Campaign.
On the 1st January 2018 The Australasian NIDCAP Training Centre launched the Light it Purple Campaign.
- In Australia 1 in 10 babies (8.6% of all births are born premature) and 15% of all babies will require care in a Special care Nursery or NICU.
- Grace Centre for Newborn Intensive Care in 2017 had 643 neonatal admissions, 37% (243) were born at less than 37 weeks gestation or premature.
- Premature infants due to advances in technology are more likely to survive yet have increased risks of neurodevelopmental disorders (i.e. autism), learning, behavioural and social impairments, and mental health issues. The provision of neuro-supportive care in the NICU helps to mitigate some of these risks yet the influence on long term development remains.
- World Prematurity Day is a global movement to raise awareness of premature birth and the devastating impact it can have on families. Each year on the 17th November buildings and monuments are lit purple to raise the profile of premature birth within the community (see attachment). To date the lighting of buildings purple has not been attempted or achieved in Australia.
- Our goal is that each year buildings and monuments in Australia will be lit purple to raise awareness of preterm births and admissions to NICU/SCN’s.
The Australian College of Neonatal Nurses (ACNN) a professional group for neonatal nurses and Lifes Little Treasures a parent advocacy group for families of preterm infants have partnered with us to promote the concept.
What we have achieved to date
- Submission to Opera House Trust to Light the Sails Purple – currently awaiting response
- Submission to City of Sydney Council – currently awaiting confirmation to light Sydney Town Hall purple. Confirmation expected in October
- Currently exploring if we can Light the front of the Children’s Hospital at Westmead Purple
How you can help
If you would like to offer assistance or have a building or monument that you would like to “light purple’ please contact email@example.com