John Beveridge Lecture
The annual John Beveridge Lecture recognises the life, contribution and commitment of Professor John Beveridge.
John Beveridge was the Foundation Professor of Paediatrics at the University of NSW and the Director of the Prince of Wales Children’s Hospital (now the Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick) from its inception in 1962 until 1991.
Professor Beveridge was a strong, passionate and determined advocate for the Hospital and for children’s health. He died in 1999.
From 2019, the annual John Beveridge Oration will become the John Beveridge Lecture. It will be held as part of the Biennial Update in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine, at Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick. The lecture will be in honour of the Hospital’s founder Professor John Beveridge.
Professor Beveridge was a passionate teacher and clinician. His clinical interest in respiratory conditions, like cystic fibrosis, provides poignant connection to the presentation which will to be delivered to wide variety of health professionals who have shared interest in extending their knowledge and improving health outcomes for children, now and into the future.
Past John Beveridge Orators
- 2017 The Honourable Jillian Skinner
- 2016 Libby Davies, CEO of White Ribbon Australia
- 2015 Prof Kim Oates, Paediatrician and Emeritus Professor of University of Sydney
- 2014 Prof Gillian Triggs, President of the Australian Human Rights Commission
- 2013 Prof Les White, Chief Paediatrician NSW
- 2012 Prof Adam Jaffé, John Beveridge Professor of Paediatrics
- 2011 A/Prof Stephen Graham, Paediatrician and previous Chief Resident Medical Officer
- 2010 Hon Michael D Kirby AC CMG, High Court Judge 1996-2009
- 2009 Hon Peter Garling SC, Commissioner of the Special Commission into Acute Care Services in Public Hospitals in NSW
- 2008 Mr David Gonski, Businessman, Philanthropist, Patron of the Arts and Chancellor of the UNSW
- 2007 Dr Sue Gordon AM, Chair of the N.T Response Taskforce, and the National Indigenous Council
- 2006 Hon Bob Carr, Premier of NSW (1995-2005)
- 2005 Prof Loane Skene, Lawyer and Ethicist
- 2004 Dr Norman Swan, Medical Journalist
- 2003 Sir Gustav Nossal, AC CBE, Immunologist & Scientist
- 2002 Her Exellency Professor Marie Bashir AC, Governor of NSW