John Beveridge Oration
The annual John Beveridge Oration recognises the life, contribution and commitment of Professor John Beveridge.
John Beveridge was the Foundation Professor of Paediatrics at the University of NSW and the Director of the Prince of Wales Children’s Hospital (now the Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick) from its inception in 1962 until 1991.
Professor Beveridge was a strong, passionate and determined advocate for the Hospital and for children’s health. He died in 1999.
The 2017 Oration
This year's John Beveridge Oration will be delivered by The Honourable Jillian Skinner who will speak on the topic: 'Saving the lives of children – there is nothing more motivating!'
- When: 6pm, Wednesday 15 November
- Where: Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Jillian Skinner has recently retired after six years as NSW Minister for Health and 14 years as Shadow Minister. She was also the first stand-alone Minister for Medical Research in NSW. In those roles, Jillian created a more unified health sector by focusing on local decision making, boosting the clinical workforce, a massive investment in infrastructure and provision of record recurrent spending to deliver tens of thousands more emergency department treatments, hospital admissions and elective surgeries.
She was noted for her commitment to social policy programs including organ donation, pain management, improved palliative care and elimination of the transmission of HIV.
Jillian began her career as a journalist in Melbourne, has run her own business, worked in the public sector and served on many community and advisory bodies.
Like more information?
Past John Beveridge Orators
- 2017 The Honourable Jillian Skinner
- 2016 Libby Davies, CEO of White Ribbon Australia
- 2015 Prof Kim Oates, Paediatrician and Emeritus Professor of University of Sydney
- 2014 Prof Gillian Triggs, President of the Australian Human Rights Commission
- 2013 Prof Les White, Chief Paediatrician NSW
- 2012 Prof Adam Jaffé, John Beveridge Professor of Paediatrics
- 2011 A/Prof Stephen Graham, Paediatrician and previous Chief Resident Medical Officer
- 2010 Hon Michael D Kirby AC CMG, High Court Judge 1996-2009
- 2009 Hon Peter Garling SC, Commissioner of the Special Commission into Acute Care Services in Public Hospitals in NSW
- 2008 Mr David Gonski, Businessman, Philanthropist, Patron of the Arts and Chancellor of the UNSW
- 2007 Dr Sue Gordon AM, Chair of the N.T Response Taskforce, and the National Indigenous Council
- 2006 Hon Bob Carr, Premier of NSW (1995-2005)
- 2005 Prof Loane Skene, Lawyer and Ethicist
- 2004 Dr Norman Swan, Medical Journalist
- 2003 Sir Gustav Nossal, AC CBE, Immunologist & Scientist
- 2002 Her Exellency Professor Marie Bashir AC, Governor of NSW