PPE | Infection control
Don't forget to watch the videos on PPE and safety on the Questions and answers page.
- BYD respirator – guide for fitting (CEC safety information 22 September)
- Avoiding skin problems due to mask use - tips
- Extended use of masks for clinical staff
- SCH PPE range (18/06/2020)
- CHW PPE range (17/06/2020)
- Guide on PPE equipment in hospitals during COVID-19 outbreak (Dept of Health) (updated 27 April). Refer to this page for the latest amendments to the document.
- Infection Control and the application of PPE during COVID-19 (version 2.3 – August 2020)
- Emergency Department – PPE Quick Reference Guide V4 (uploaded 24 September 2020)
- PPE for respiratory patients requiring aerosol-generating treatment (uploaded 24 March)
- Application of PPE in response to COVID-19 (19 March)
- Principles of fitting P2 and N95 masks (CEC) (19 March)
- Recommended guidance of mask use in NSW (18 March)
- Donning Personal Protection Equipment with surgical mask (SCHN poster uploaded 13 May)
- Donning Personal Protection Equipment with P2 mask SCHN poster uploaded 13 May)
- Removing Personal Protection Equipment (P2 Mask) (SCHN poster uploaded 30 April)
- Removing Personal Protection Equipment (Surgical mask) (SCHN poster uploaded 30 April)
NSW Health has advised that PPE training is now mandatory for all clinical staff who anticipate they will need to wear any form of PPE.
- Mandatory Training for COVID-19: Personal Protective Equipment for Combined Transmission-Based Precautions (Course Code: 294450660).
Nurse Educators are providing PPE training in each ward.
The Children's Hospital at Westmead
PPE sessions are offered through the Education Centre and provide information on:
- General infection prevention and control principles with an updated focus on COVID-19
- WH&S regulations
- Hand hygiene
- Combined transmission-based precautions
- Donning and doffing PPE (demonstration by the trainer).
If you would like to attend a session, please check the SCHN Education Calendar for dates and enrol via Heti/MHL.
If you have questions regarding these sessions please email the SCHN Education Centre or call on 9845 3566.
For all other PPE training questions, in the first instance, please contact your manager. For additional support please email Jennifer Goh.
QARS PPE audit
To complete the QARS weekly audit or to view current supply levels, use the QARS PPE audit link on the Coronavirus intranet section or the Clinical Governance Unit intranet section.
- Safe Practice in Shared Spaces
- Clinical Excellence Commission (CEC) resources (updated 7 May)
- Infection Prevention and Control - Management of COVID-19 in Healthcare Settings (access via CEC page, latest version 7 May 2020)
- Advice for healthcare workers (6 April)
- Advice for security staff (21 May 2020)
- Infection prevention and control Novel Coronavirus 2019 - Hospital setting (9 February)
More information on infection control can be found on the SCHN intranet under the Clinical menu.