Neurogenetics at The Children's Hospital at Westmead
- Phone: (02) 9845 1325
Neurogenetics at The Children's Hospital at Westmead provides comprehensive clinical care for children affected by muscle and nerve conditions including muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, the peripheral neuropathies and neurofibromatosis type 1 and 2 (NF1 and NF2).
The Neuromuscular Clinic cares for children and adolescents with a range of muscle and nerve disorders (including neuropathies, congenital myopathies, myotonic dystrophy, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, Becker muscular dystrophy, limb girdle muscular dystrophy and Ulrich congenital myopathy). The Neurogenetics Clinic cares for patients with neurofibromatosis.
The clinic specialises in the diagnosis, assessment and genetic counselling of children with neurogenetic disorders including neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis, neuromuscular disorders and hereditary ataxias
- When: Every Wednesday at 2pm
- Where: Children's Assessment Centre, Level 3
Referrals and appointments
Initial referrals must be from a registered medical practitioner (specialist or consultant).
Subsequent referrals must be from a registered medical practitioner (GP, specialist or consultant) and can be directed to any Clinical Geneticist/ Paediatric Neurologist listed below.
Requests to see a specific geneticist or neurologist can be considered, but are not always possible. All appointment requests are triaged by clinical staff and appointments may be allocated to another Clinic (Genetics or Neurology) if more appropriate.
A Genetic Counsellor will usually contact new referrals prior to the clinic visit to obtain a preliminary family tree and check if relevant previous medical information is available.
- Please email Daralyn Hodgson, Manager Neurogenetics Clinical Services on SCHN-CHW-Neurogenetics@health.nsw.gov.au or fax (02) 9845 3905 the referral addressed to the attending specialist.
- For urgent referrals, please go through the Hospital Switchboard on 02 9845 0000
- Dr R Webster (Neurologist & Head of Department)
- Dr K Jones (Geneticist)
- Dr S Sandaradura (Geneticist)
- Dr Sarah Josephi-Taylor (Geneticist)
- Dr H Young (Neurologist)
- Dr S Ardern-Holmes (Neurologist)
- Dr M Menezes (Neurologist)
- Dr Esther Tantsis (Neurologist)
- Dr Michelle Lorentzos (Neurologist)
We prefer to arrange appointments by email where possible. Please use SCHN-CHW-Neurogenetics@health.nsw.gov.au
Alternatively, you can call us on 9845 1325