Occupational Therapy at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Phone: (02) 9382 1073
Fax: (02) 9382 1079
Location: Level 0, South Wing, Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Reception hours: 8.00am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday
Occupational Therapists at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick (SCH) provide services to babies, children, adolescents and their families. A family-focussed philosophy is central to assisting children, young people and their families to participate in home, school, play and leisure activities.
Occupational Therapists use methods of adaptation, compensation, remediation in both individual and group sessions. The following interventions are considered to assist children to participate in self-care, school/preschool, play and leisure activities:
- developmental facilitation
- sensory, perceptual and motor retraining
- adapting or designing special equipment
- seating and positioning
- upper limb techniques including hand therapy and splinting
- skills acquisition including handwriting and scissor skills
- training in the use of artificial limbs
- relaxation and anxiety management
- information processing during everyday activities, eg. planning, problem solving
- home, preschool, school visits
- education for parents, staff and community groups
- liaison with preschools, schools and other children's services
Inpatient and outpatient Occupational Therapy services
The Inpatient team sees children and young people referred by treating health teams from wards including Paediatric Intensive Care, General Medicine, Oncology, Neurology and Rehabilitation, Mental Health, and Orthopaedics.
Occupational therapy may be offered to outpatients as part of tertiary clinic services provided at Sydney Children’s Hospital. Outpatient clinics include:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Limb Deficiency
- Spina Bifida
- Brain Tumour Rehabilitation
- Child Protection Service
- Epidermolysis Bullosa
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation
- Palliative Care and Pain
Occupational therapy needs will be determined during outpatient clinic appointments.
Occupational Therapy community outpatient services are provided to eligible children and families residing within the Randwick local health district. These services may include individual assessment, intervention, group participation and as a consultation. These services are a time limited service and appointments will be arranged according to the needs of the child, service priorities and current wait lists.