Respiratory Services at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
- Ph: 9382 1477
- Fax: 9382 1787
CF Clinic Coordinator
- Ph: 9382 1476
- Fax: 9382 1539
- Ph: 9382 1470
- Fax: 9382 1461
- Ph: 9382 1475
- Fax: 9382 0860
The Respiratory Service provides quality care, research, education and training to support children with complex respiratory disease and their families.
Aiming for Asthma Improvement in Children (AAIC) is a NSW state-wide program coordinated by Clinical Nurse Consultants from Sydney Children's Hospital Randwick, Respiratory Department.
We provide the following specialist services.
Respiratory Support Service
- Domiciliary oxygen
Respiratory Laboratory Services
- Spirometry (with bronchodilatation response for children with conditions such as Cystic Fibrosis and Asthma)
- Complex Respiratory function tests, e.g. Lung Volumes (Plethysmography), diffusion studies (DLCO), Multiple Breath Washout (LCI)
- Mannitol Bronchial Challenge testing
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing
- Nitric Oxide: exhaled eNO & Nasal eNO
- Respiratory muscle strength testing: MIP (Maximal Inspiratory Pressures), MEP (Maximal Expiratory Pressures), SNIP (Sniff Nasal Inspiratory Pressure) & CPF (Cough peak flow)
- Evaluation of arterial oxygen by overnight oximetry
- Skin reactivity to common allergens (aeroallergens only)
- Hypoxic Challenge (simulated aircraft cabin testing at 15% oxygen)
- Bronchoscopy services, flexible fibro-optic bronchoscopy are performed on appropriate cases
- Coordination of multi-disciplinary clinics for Cystic Fibrosis, Tracheo Oesophageal Fistula (TOF), Congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH), and Infant Respiratory complications.
Referrals and appointments
Respiratory Clinic referrals
Our department specialises in complex respiratory conditions. If your child has a chest condition and requires a clinic appointment, you will need to request a referral from your general practitioner or paediatrician and fax it to us. Please include your child's full name, address and date of birth.
When the referral is received and processed by the clinic, you will receive a letter with the details of your child's appointment.
Like more information?
Call the Outpatients Department on 9382 1470
Lung function referrals
If you receive a referral from your general practitioner or paediatrician requesting a Lung Function test, please call Respiratory Medicine on 9382 1475 to make an appointment.
Medicare card holders are bulk-billed for consultations and associated tests.
- Morning: Dr Chaten Pandit and Respiratory Fellow
- Mid-morning: Dr Yvonne Belessis
- Mid-morning: TBA
- Mid-morning: Dr Andrew Numa
High-risk Asthma clinic
- Afternoon: TBA
Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
- Morning: Cystic Fibrosis Annual Review Clinic
- Clinic all day
Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Clinic
- Afternoon: Dr Sandra Chuang
- Clinic all day
Education and training schedule
This information is for trainee clinicians.
- JMO teaching
- POWH xray
- Young Investigator meeting
- SCH ENT/Respiratory Meeting (monthly)
- SCH Respiratory Journal Club
- SCH Grand Rounds
- SCH Sleep Meeting and SCH Xray Meeting (alt fortnights)
- Respiratory Teaching and Reporting
Education and training opportunities are available in the Respiratory Department and the Hospital. The General Paediatric Fellow coordinates teaching opportunities and communicates the week's activities.
The Department accepts visiting doctors with an interest in respiratory medicine.
All enquiries from visiting medical personnel should be addressed to the Chief RMO.
Senior Medical Staff
Dr Louisa Owens:
- Head of Respiratory Dept, Paediatric Respiratory Staff Specialist, Director of Respiratory Lab, Conjoint Lecturer UNSW
- Outpatient clinics for general respiratory conditions, high-risk asthma, complex asthma and cystic fibrosis
Prof Adam Jaffe:
- Head of School of Women’s and Children’s Health, John Beveridge Professor of Paediatrics UNSW, Paediatric Respiratory Specialis
- Outpatient clinics for cystic fibrosis
Dr Yvonne Belessis:
- Paediatric Respiratory Staff Specialist, Head of Cystic Fibrosis, Director of flexible bronchoscopy services, Conjoint Lecturer UNSW
- Outpatient clinics for general respiratory conditions, cystic fibrosis, tracheostomy/long-term ventilation and trachea-oesophageal fistulas
Dr Sandra Chuang:
- Clinical Academic Respiratory Medicine, Lecturer UNSW
- Outpatient clinics for congenital lung disorders, neuromuscular disorders, general respiratory conditions and cystic fibrosis
Dr Bernadette Prentice:
- Paediatric Respiratory Staff Specialist, Conjoint Lecturer UNSW
- Outpatient clinics for general respiratory conditions, bronchiectasis and cystic fibrosis
Dr Andrew Numa:
- Paediatric Intensivist and Respiratory Specialist, Head of Intensive Care Unit
- Outpatient clinic for general respiratory conditions
Dr Penelope Field:
- Paediatric Respiratory Specialist and Visiting Medical Officer
- Outpatient clinics for cystic fibrosis
Dr Carolyn Shalhoub:
- Genetic Counsellor
- Amanda Thompson: Clinical Nurse Consultant Cystic Fibrosis
Melinda Gray: Clinical Nurse Consultant Asthma/Paediatric Respiratory
- Christine Burns: Clinical Nurse Consultant, Aiming for Asthma Improvement in Children
- Ellie Grundy: Clinical Nurse Specialist Cystic Fibrosis
- Roxanne Strachan: Research Co-ordinator
- Jamie McBride: Senior Respiratory Scientist / Lab Manager
- Leanne Plush: Respiratory Scientist
- Rianna Ledwos: Trainee Respiratory Scientist
- Michael Doumit: Respiratory physiotherapist
- Tamarah Katz: Paediatric Dietician
- Holly Murphy: Social Worker
- Aoife Hyland: Children's ICU physiotherapist; Respiratory Team Lead; After hours Coordinator
- Rhonda Bell: Cystic Fibrosis Clinic Coordinator
- Swarnalatha Pandya: Secretary Paediatric Respiratory Medicine
- Suzanne McNicholas: Receptionist Paediatric Respiratory Lab.