Around the local area
Parramatta Park is a few minutes walk from the Hospital. Head out the front entrance and follow Hainsworth Street until you reach the park. It has an all-abilities playground, picnic areas, a cafe and historic Old Government House. Walk, play or sit quietly under a tree by the river. There is a 2.2km loop track for walking, running or cycling.
Food and shopping
- On Hawkesbury Road, there is a Subway, Oportos, a cafe, and a Thai and Japanese restaurant. Opposite the Westmead train station is a newsagency, hairdresser and a cake shop.
- Westmead Hospital also has food outlets at the entrance and inside, as well as a florist, newsagency and hairdresser.
- At the hospital entrance and inside are a range of food outlets also has food outlets, a florist, newsagency and Post Office.
- The nearest petrol station is on Hawkesbury Road towards Parramatta Road.
- Additional shops are located in Northmead. Exit the Hospital from Level 1 through the gardens. Follow the path left between the Hospital and Ronald McDonald House and walk up Redbank Road where you will find McDonalds, KFC, Pancakes on The Rocks and a petrol station.
- The Westfield shopping centre has a wide variety of food outlets and general retail. There is a free loop bus in Parramatta.
- Westmead train station is approximately 15 minutes walk up Hawkesbury Road. It is an easy access station with lifts, ramps and security. The station is staffed 24 hours.
- Bus 711 leaves from the front of the Hospital and goes to Westmead, Parramatta and Blacktown train stations.
- Opal cards are active on all local buses and trains. Buy one online or call 13 67 25
You can buy an Opal Card locally at:
- Westmead LPO; Shop 206, 166-174 Hawkesbury Road, Westmead
- Y and E Mixed Business; 82 Bridge Road, Westmead
- Namasteji Indian Smart Mart, Shop 3, 24 Railway Parade, WWestmead
- Robins Nest Newsagency; Shop 9, 24-26 Railway Parade, Westmead
- TSG Westmead; Shop 4, 29-33 Darcy Road, Westmead
For detailed information on the surrounding area, download the brochure and map surrounding services.