Being an Outpatient
When your child is an outpatient it means they are visiting the hospital for diagnosis or treatment but are not staying in the hospital.
What to bring as an outpatient
Make sure you have everything listed below ready to show hospital staff:
- Your child's personal health record, such as their blue book, immunisation record and any other health summaries you may have
- Medicare card
- Health insurance details or evidence of current fund membership
- A list of medications or treatments your child is currently receiving, as well as the medications themselves to show hospital staff
- Any equipment which your child needs to aid mobility, feeding or communication
- Your family doctor's name, address and phone number
- Your general paediatrician's name, address and phone number if your child sees one regularly
- Any relevant x-rays and results from pathology tests.
What to expect
When making an appointment or inquiring about an appointment please be ready to quote your child's full name, address, date of birth and the medical record number if the child has been to the hospital before.
When you are given a time for your child's appointments, please remember that this is a guide only for when they will be seen. Depending on the clinic you may be at the hospital for several hours.
Directions, maps and parking
Information about directions, maps and parking for The Children's Hospital at Westmead.
Where to go
The outpatients department is located on Level 2 (the level of the main entrance) of the The Children's Hospital at Westmead. Many clinics provided on site at The Children's Hospital at Westmead are multidisciplinary involving several subspecialties and associated support staff. Patients may be referred to individual clinicians by name or to generic clinics. Children may be immunised in the immunisation clinic.
Food and facilities
There is a cafe and cafeteria inside The Children's Hospital at Westmead which is open on weekdays. Services and facilities available include an interpreter service, gift shop, pharmacy, home equipment lending service, chaplaincy services, kids entertainment facilities and a hospital school. Public phones are available at The Children's Hospital at Westmead.