Preparing for adult hospital
Information and education are the keys to successful transition to adult health care.
There are some things that might help the process, such as:
- Starting to talk to your doctors on your own, or perhaps just seeing the doctor on your own for part of your appointment
- Learning more about how changes that happen during adolescence may affect your health
- Become more independent with health care - for example, take responsibility for medication, learn what to do in an emergency and book appointments
- Make sure you have a trusted GP
- Learn about the adult health system and services you can access
- Get your own Medicare card
Do you have a chronic health condition? Are you concerned about moving to the adult health system and navigating it on your own?
If you are, or have been, a patient of Sydney Children’s Hospital or The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Trapeze can help you.
Trapeze is a supported leap into adult care. The friendly staff can help you through:
- developing stronger links with a GP or medical specialist
- face to face and telephone support
- facilitating care coordination
- health coaching
- navigating the health system
- making sure you have entitlements and your own Medicare card
Contact: Phone (02) 9382 5457 or email email@example.com
We're located in The Bright Alliance, Level 7, Centre for Adolescent and Young Adult Health, Corner of High and Avoca Street, Randwick.