History of Sydney Children's Hospital
Sydney Children’s Hospital first opened as the Asylum for Destitute Children in Paddington on 21 March 1858. After some fundraising in 1870, the Catherine Hayes Hospital opened. Plans for this hospital were approved by Florence Nightingale, who is famous for inventing modern nursing.
As the Hospital grew, the children's hospital became a wing of the larger general hospital, which became known as the Prince of Wales Hospital in 1953.
In June 1998, the Prince of Wales Children's Hospital officially became known as the Sydney Children's Hospital, when it was opened by the New South Wales Premier, Bob Carr.