Being an outpatient
Outpatients visit the hospital for diagnosis or treatment but don't stay at the hospital overnight.
Outpatients is located on Level 0 of the Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick.
The Short Stay Surgical Unit can be reached via any of the hospital's lifts or stairwells and is located on level 1, in the hospital's Ainsworth Building. The Unit cares for children undergoing day or short stay surgical procedures.
What to bring to your outpatient appointment
Make sure you have everything listed below ready to show hospital staff:
- Your child's personal health record, e.g. blue book, immunisation record and any other health summaries you may have
- Medicare card
- Health insurance details or evidence of current fund membership
- A list of medications or treatments your child is currently receiving, as well as the medications themselves to show hospital staff
- Any equipment which your child needs to aid mobility, feeding or communication
- Your family doctor's name, address and phone number
- Your general paediatrician's name, address and phone number if your child sees one regularly
- Any relevant x-rays and results from pathology tests.
What to expect at the appointment
When making an appointment or inquiring about an appointment please be ready to quote your child's full name, address, date of birth and the medical record number if the child has been to the hospital before.
When you are given a time for your child's appointments, please remember that this is a guide only for when they will be seen. Depending on the clinic you may be at the hospital for several hours.
Healthy Weight 4 Kids
Your child's height and weight will be measured and recorded. This is part of a NSW Health initiative to encourage increased awareness around healthy weights in children.
- See the online calculator and resources for healthy eating habits.
Directions, maps and parking
Have a look at Where's Randwick? for directions, maps and parking information.
Food and facilities
There is a cafe and cafeteria inside the Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick which is open on weekdays. Services and facilities available include an interpreter service, gift shop, pharmacy, home equipment lending service, chaplaincy services, kids entertainment facilities and a hospital school. Public phones are available at the northern end of the main corridor on Level 0 and the Emergency Department of the Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick.