Light Rail updates
Across the Network new public transport developments are taking place. This is where we'll let you know the latest.
CBD and South East Light Rail project
The CBD and South East Light Rail will provide fast and reliable public transport over a 12-kilometre route featuring 19 stops from Circular Quay, through the CBD, to Kingsford and Randwick via Surry Hills, Moore Park and Kensington.
High Street has changed
Stage one of construction of High Street has begun. Works will be ongoing until construction is due to be completed in 2018. Services will start running in 2019.
- Please be aware that public access to High Street is now via Arthur Street and Clara Street and you may need to allow extra travel time to reach Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick.
- Emergency service access and emergency local access will be maintained to Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick’s Emergency Department at all times.
- Ambulance access to the High Street Ambulance Bay will remain the same.
- Two Emergency parking spaces have been allocated within the construction staging area, located directly in front of Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick's Emergency Department.
- A Transport for NSW Traffic Controller will be stationed in this area 24/7 to assist families requiring Emergency care.
- There is also additional short-term parking on Clara Street, adjacent to Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick’s Emergency Department, and Hospital Road.
Resources to help
Information on High Street construction
Other works occurring around the Randwick area
- Details on other current works occurring around the Randwick area - this is updated weekly
- Interactive Light Rail map
- Download a transport app: Arrivo Sydney, NextThere, TransitTimes, TripGo, Triptastic, TripView, Commuter and CommuteNSW
- View live traffic updates here
- For general enquiries, call 1800 684 490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For urgent enquiries or complaints, a 24-hour helpline has been established by Transport for NSW on 1800 775 465
Frequently asked questions
What are they building on High Street?
Transport for NSW are building two Light Rail stops on High Street, between Wansey Road and Avoca Street. This includes the UNSW High Street Stop and the Randwick Terminus Stop and Interchange.
When will the work be finished?
Light Rail is expected to be operational by early 2019.
How do I get to the hospitals on High Street?
If you drive:
Access to Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, including the Emergency Department, and Prince of Wales Hospital will be maintained throughout all construction 24/7.
If you are visiting a medical practice, local business or one of the hospital entrances on High Street, follow the detour signs and access High Street via Clara Street.
- Access will be maintained at all times.
- Be aware that traffic movements will be restricted.
- There will be traffic controllers to direct you safely through the construction zone.
Where can I pick up or drop off a patient?
You can find short term car parking for pick up and drop off close to the hospitals on High Street:
- 2 x Emergency spaces in front of Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick's Emergency Department.
- On Clara Street (near the intersection with High Street).
- On Hospital Road (near the intersection with High Street).
- Under the front entrances of both Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick and Prince of Wales Hospital.
Where can I park?
Entry to the Randwick Hospital Campus public car park can be gained via the roundabout on Barker Street.
Randwick City Council has implemented offset parking in the area on Blenheim Street, Bradley Street, Eurimbla Street, Mears Avenue, Soudan Street and Frances Street, Randwick.
You will not be able to park on High Street, between Wansey Road and Avoca Street.
Where can I catch a bus?
Bus stops have been removed from High Street and relocated to adjacent streets.
Buses will no longer pick up or drop off on High Street. Look for the pink signs at bus stops, and visit www.transportnsw.info for all bus information.
Can I still walk along High Street?
Yes, pedestrian access remains the same on High Street.
What about taxis?
The taxi zone in front of the Prince of Wales Hospital entrance on High Street has moved across the road to Clara Street.
Taxis can still pick up and drop off under the front entrances of Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick and Prince of Wales Hospital on High Street.
I'm riding a bike, can I still get through?
Cyclists are advised to follow sign-posted cycle routes and the general traffic detours. Visit mysydneycbd.nsw.gov.au/projects/cycleways for more information.
I need mobility access, where can I park?
There are mobility car spaces at the following locations:
- Hospital Road (next to Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick entry)
- High Street under the Prince of Wales Hospital front entrance
- Outside Euroa Centre (enter via Avoca Street)
- At The Bright Building (enter via Avoca Street)
- The Randwick Hospital Campus Barker Street car park (paid)