Families and Consumer Council
Children heal best when their families are part of the care team.
The Family and Consumer Council (FACC) is made up of of parents and carers who have had direct experiences in our hospitals. They advocate for changes and work with us on new initiatives to improve how we do our job.
The FACC has two types of members: volunteer parents and carers of young people, and staff. We work in consultation and partnership to ensure consumer knowledge and experience is available to SCHN.
The purpose of the Council is to:
- Provide advice to ensure that SCHN is responsive to patient, parent/carer input, needs and experiences at a local and Network level;
- Provide a consultation forum to review documents, incidents or events and make recommendations for promoting and improving patient and family centred care;
- Support SCHN to implement a framework for patient, family and community engagement across the Network to support the implementation of EQuIPNational Standard 2: Partnering with Consumers and other applicable National Standards.
What we want to achieve
SCHN is committed to patient centred care and involving you, the patient, parent and carer in your care plan. We want to know what is important to you and how we can make your experience better. The SCHN FACC and our other Advisory Council's provide an opportunity for parents and carer's to tell us what we are doing well, but also what we can do better. Research shows a higher result of positive outcomes when patients, parents and carer's work together in partnership towards a common goal.
We love hearing your feedback, as this helps drive improvements and change throughout the Network. If it is important to you, it is important to us.
If you are interested in speaking to a member of the Council, or joining the Council, please email the Council or phone the Clinical Governance Unit on (02) 9845 3442.
There are a number of different ways that patients, parents, carers can become involved in helping us understand how to do things better. The involvement and feedback from our consumers is of great value in improving the quality of care we provide.
You can become involved at any time by:
- being involved in the development and review of patient brochures and information handouts
- joining an advisory group
For more information please email the Patient and Family Engagement team.
Read FACC member Jessica Alispahic's story
Why did I join the Families and Consumer Council?
To make a difference and be more involved in the care of my daughter.
What do I hope to achieve by being a member of the Families and Consumer Council?
To make the hospital a better place for the children being treated and their families.
What do I enjoy about being on the Families and Consumer Council?
I love the fact that we are making a difference and that we are at a level that can help executives with decision making. I also like the fact that I get to meet and get to know other like minded parents and executives who share the same passion.