Respiratory Services at Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
- Ph: 9382 1477
- Fax: 9382 1787
CF Clinic Coordinator
- Ph: 9382 1476
- Fax: 9382 1539
- Ph: 9382 1470
- Fax: 9382 1461
- Ph: 9382 1475
- Fax: 9382 0860
The Respiratory Service provides quality care, research, education and training to support children with complex respiratory disease and their families.
We provide the following specialist services.
Respiratory Support Service
- Domiciliary oxygen
Respiratory Laboratory Services
- Spirometry (with bronchodilatation response for children with conditions such as Cystic Fibrosis and Asthma)
- Complex Respiratory function tests, e.g. Lung Volumes (Plethysmography), diffusion studies (DLCO), Multiple Breath Washout (LCI)
- Mannitol Bronchial Challenge testing
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing
- Nitric Oxide: exhaled eNO & Nasal eNO
- Respiratory muscle strength testing: MIP (Maximal Inspiratory Pressures), MEP (Maximal Expiratory Pressures), SNIP (Sniff Nasal Inspiratory Pressure) & CPF (Cough peak flow)
- Evaluation of arterial oxygen by overnight oximetry
- Skin reactivity to common allergens (aeroallergens only)
- Hypoxic Challenge (simulated aircraft cabin testing at 15% oxygen)
- Bronchoscopy services, flexible fibro-optic bronchoscopy are performed on appropriate cases
- Coordination of multi-disciplinary clinics for Cystic Fibrosis, Tracheo Oesophageal Fistula (TOF), Congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH), and Infant Respiratory complications.
Referrals and appointments
Respiratory Clinic referrals
Our department specialises in complex respiratory conditions. If your child has a chest condition and requires a clinic appointment, you will need to request a referral from your general practitioner or paediatrician and fax it to us. Please include your child's full name, address and date of birth.
When the referral is received and processed by the clinic, you will receive a letter with the details of your child's appointment.
Like more information?
Call the Outpatients Department on 9382 1470
Lung function referrals
If you receive a referral from your general practitioner or paediatrician requesting a Lung Function test, please call Respiratory Medicine on 9382 1475 to make an appointment.
Medicare card holders are bulk-billed for consultations and associated tests.
Dr Chaten Pandit
Dr Yvonne Belessis
High Risk Asthma
Dr John Widger
TOF/OA Clinic (Fortnightly)
Dr Yvonne Belessis
Cystic Fibrosis Annual Review Clinic
Dr John Widger
Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
Dr Andrew Numa
Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Clinic (Fortnightly)
Dr Sandra Chuang
Information for health professionals
Respiratory education and training schedule
Education and training opportunities are available in the Respiratory Department and the Hospital. The General Paediatric Fellow coordinates teaching opportunities and communicates the week's activities.
The Department accepts visiting doctors with an interest in respiratory medicine.
All enquiries from visiting medical personnel should be addressed to the Chief RMO.
Senior Medical Staff
- Dr John Widger: Head of Respiratory Department, Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Respiratory Laboratory Director
- Prof Adam Jaffe: Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Director of Respiratory Research and Clinical Governance
- Dr Yvonne Belessis: Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Director of Cystic Fibrosis ServicesHead of Oesophageal Atresia/Tracheo-oesophageal Fistula Multidisciplinary Clinic
- Dr Sandra Chuang: Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Head of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Clinic
- Dr Andrew Numa: Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Director of Intensive Care
- Dr Penelope Field: Visiting Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Program Director for Cardiopulmonary Exercise testing
- Dr Louisa Owens: Staff Specialist in Respiratory Medicine, Director Respiratory Laboratory
- Amanda Thomsen: CNC Cystic Fibrosis
- Sandra Wale: CNC Respiratory (Mon, Tues)
- Melinda Gray: CNC Asthma
- Christine Burns: CNC Asthma
- Jamie McBride: Senior Respiratory Scientist
- Leanne Plush: Respiratory Scientist
- Yvette Mechin: Respiratory Scientist
- Michael Doumit: Respiratory physiotherapist
- Tamarah Katz: Dietician
- Alison Curby: Social Worker
- Megan Lang: Clinical Psychologist
- Carolyn Shalhoub: Genetic Counsellor
- Roxanne Strachan: Research Co-ordinator
- Rhonda Bell: Cystic Fibrosis Clinic Coordinator
- Maria Lozano: Respiratory Medicine Secretary
- Sarimon Jurie: Respiratory Laboratory Administration Officer