FINE Level 1
Level 1 is an educational pathway in family-centred developmental care that is suitable for all disciplines in any neonatal centre.
Email us: SCHN-NIDCAPAustralia@health.nsw.gov.au
The program focuses on raising awareness of the theory and evidence that supports developmentally supportive care.
FINE Level I dates for 2023 are listed below:
- February 22nd 2023 VIRTUAL Format. Register here: https://learning.schp.org.au/user_catalog_class/show/58820
- 18th May 2023 VIRTUAL Format. Register here: https://learning.schp.org.au/user_catalog_class/show/59296
- 28th September 2023 VIRTUAL Format. Register here: https://learning.schp.org.au/user_catalog_class/show/59397
- 16th November 2023 VIRTUAL Format. Register here: https://learning.schp.org.au/user_catalog_class/show/59398
Once enrolled in the program six weeks prior to the program virtual workshop date you will be granted access to the pre-learning components.
The FINE Level 1program content explores the theory and evidence that supports application of neuro-developmentally supportive care. Since 2020 the FINE Level 1 program facilitated by the Australasian NIDCAP Training Centre has evolved to meet the needs of health care professionals across Australia and New Zealand. The content is delivered is now delivered in two stages:
- Stage 1: Pre-learning components (outlined in more detail below)
- Stage 2: Virtual workshop (8 hours) with members of the FINE Faculty
The pre-learning content has been divided into sessions for you to complete at your own pace, to complete the entire content takes approximately 3.5 hours. You receive credit for completion of these hours in the program CPD hours.
In each session there is a pre-recorded brief presentation (most are <30 minutes), some resources including videos and relevant journal articles, quizzes and self-assessment activities. The sessions are linked to a relevant chapter in your textbook that will be provided to you prior to the all-day workshop, you don’t need the textbook to complete these sessions we link the session to a chapter so you know where to go for more information.
The content covered in the pre-learning components includes:
- FINE Introduction
- Brain development
- Skin to skin
- Motor development and positioning
- Stress, pain and comfort
- Supportive caregiving strategies in the clinical setting
Some of these topics we build on through practical sessions and activities during the all-day virtual workshop.
Requirements for FINE Virtual Workshop:
You are required to complete and submit all components in-order to receive the log in information or to attend the FINE all day virtual workshop program, we check the completion prior to the workshop and will reach out to you if components are missing.
To participate in the virtual program, you will need each of the following:
- Access to a laptop or desktop computer (note: each registrant is required to access the program via an individual computer, not shared).
- A working webcam and microphone (to be turned on for the duration of training)
- A stable wifi connection
- A quiet, calm place to participate from
- A doll and some linen (to practice making supportive bedding)
- FINE program resources (hard copies to be posted to registrants in advance)
Rural scholarships applications
To support learning in the non-metropolitan setting for health care professionals employed in the neonatal clinical area we are pleased to offer two registrations under the Rural Scholarship Program.
The rural scholarship covers the cost of program registration. Please note rural scholarship applications are closed until July 1st 2023.
First Nations scholarship applications
We were delighted in 2022 to launch a First Nations Neonatal Health Care Professional Scholarship thanks to a generous grant. The scholarship is available for First Nations Neonatal Health Care Professionals to complete:
- FINE First Steps (1 hour eLearning Program) (valued at $109)
- FINE Level 1: 1 ½ Day workshop (virtual) (valued at $400)
- FINE Level 2: 6 month program (virtual) (valued at $2000) ** Please note completion of FINE Level 1 is a perquisite to enrol in FINE 2
The scholarship covers the costs to complete the program, it does not include the costs of study leave, travel or accommodation.
Submit an application form to SCHN-NIDCAPAustralia@health.nsw.gov.au