Kids Rehab at The Children's Hospital at Westmead
Please call 9845 0833 or email Kids Rehab.
Kids Rehab is one of the largest paediatric rehabilitation units in Australia, caring for more than 2300 children and young people in NSW who have a range of disabilities, including acquired brain injury, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury and disease, spina bifida and limb deficiency.
Kids Rehab supports and assists children and young people to reach their full potential in all areas of development. This involves assessment, recommendations for interventions that help to restore functions that are lost after trauma or disease, follow-up review assessments and prevention strategies.
Kids Rehab is made up of these specialised services, each providing inpatient, outpatient and outreach services.
- Brain Injury service
- Limb and musculoskeletal rehabilitation service
- Cerebral palsy and movement disorder service
- Spina Bifida service
- Spinal cord injury and disease service
Kids Rehab also offers a consultative service in conjunction with other Hospital departments to assist children and young people with Connective Tissue, Neuromuscular and Neurodevelopmental problems.
Parents of children who are in rehabilitation may want to join our Kids Rehab Parent Advisory Committee.
Preparing for your appointment
Coming to see us? Here's some information to help you get ready.
Things to bring
- Your Medicare Card
- Any relevant medical, therapy or school reports for your child
- Any splints, orthotics or mobility equipment which your child uses
Getting here and parking
- Parking in and around The Children’s Hospital at Westmead can be challenging. Street parking is limited so allow plenty of time to arrive for your appointment.
- The Children’s Assessment Centre is approximately 300m from the multi-storey car park (fees apply)
- If you have an RMS Mobility Permit, Health Care Card, Gold Veterans Card or Pensioner Concession Card, you are eligible for parking concessions. Visit the Secure Parking office on level 2 to validate your parking ticket before returning to your car.
The Children's Assessment Centre
- Check-in for your appointment at the Reception desk in the Children’s Assessment Centre on Level 3.
- For assistance with directions, see this map
- The clinic nurse will measure your child’s weight and height while you are waiting to be seen.
During your appointment
- Your first appointment at Kids Rehab may be up to 1 hour long.
- You will see one of our rehabilitation doctors.
- You may also see an occupational therapist, physiotherapist, prosthetist, clinical nurse consultant or social worker if they are needed.
- We will speak to you about your child’s medical history and development, their education, their personal care, and evaluate their movements and mobility.
- We will discuss what goals and interventions might be appropriate for your child.
- We may recommend some further assessments or tests, such as x-rays.
- After the appointment, you will receive the clinic report which you can share with the professionals caring for your child.
Please feel free to contact our team on 9845 0833 or email Kids Rehab, if there is anything else you would like to know before your appointment.