Thanks for your interest in donating toys to sick kids.
The toys and games you donate help babies, children and young people have some much-needed fun while they're in hospital.
So that we ensure the toys you donate are age appropriate and safe for sick kids, here are some guidelines on what to buy.
- For health and safety reasons, toys must be brand new, unopened and still in manufacturers' packaging or with the tags attached.
- There's no need to wrap the toy as we need to see it to make sure it's appropriate for each child.
- We don't accept toy guns, swords or war games.
- All toys must meet Australian Safety Standards.
- Toys can't have small or easily detachable parts that can be swallowed.
- Toys can’t have moving parts that can pinch fingers or hair.
- Toys can’t have dangers such as breakable glass, protrusions, or sharp edges.
- We don't accept electrical, spark-producing toys because of fire regulations.
- Glue or paint in craft kits must be non-toxic and non-flammable.
- All DVDs need to be G or PG Rated.
But don't despair—while that might seem like a lot of exclusions, check out our shopping lists of toys that are warmly welcomed because they suit a broad range of children.
PLEASE NOTE: To protect the privacy of our patients and families, the community are not able to hand out toys on our wards or directly to our patients. Donations should come through the Volunteers Department or Public Relations Department.
Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick
Your donations are valuable and used to ensure that babies, children and young people have access to developmentally appropriate resources, allowing them to have some much needed fun, and also learn while in hospital.
The donations we receive are used throughout the year for holidays, birthdays, milestones and even pick-me ups.
Our patients range from newborns through to 18-year-olds. We receive donations for children aged between 3 and 11 years on a reasonably regular basis, however, we have large numbers of young patients aged 0-3 years and also 12-18 years that we desperately need items for as well.
We kindly ask that you also consider these age groups when donating.
Download the shopping list for Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick. We've added pictures to help you with brands, so take it with you when you shop.
Examples of items used on a daily basis
- Playdoh Crayons / Pencils / Textas Books
- Colouring and activity books Small bottles of Party Bubbles
- Craft Kits – Creativity for Kids, Colorific, Seedling Science and Medical Kits
- Gift vouchers PS4 consoles, games and accessories
- DVDs and CDs for all ages Wireless Bluetooth speakers
- Lego and Duplo
Examples of gifts for newborns (0-2 years)
- Rattles and Baby Toys
- Baby books Baby Rings
- Soothers and Play Centres for cots
Examples for little toddler kids (3-5 years)
- Books for little people
- Duplo and Megablocks
- Toddler toys
- Thomas the Tank Engine
- Musical Instruments
- Imaginative Toys (tea sets, tool kits)
- Pillow Pets
Examples for school aged children (6-11 years)
- Lego kits
- Arts and craft materials and kits
- Hot Wheels Cars and trucks
- Science Kits
- Board Games
- Hair Accessories & nail polish
Examples for adolescents (12+ years)
- Gift vouchers (iTunes, JB HI FI, cinemas, priceline etc.)
- Lego kits
- Bluetooth speakers
- Nail Polish
- Beach accessories (towel, hats, sunnies)
- Typo accessories
Other ideas and gifts for all ages
- Sport equipment
- Game consoles
- Board Games
- Gift vouchers
- Toys which have sound and light up are especially great for our special needs patients
For more information please contact Public Relations on 9382 3570
The Children's Hospital at Westmead
This Christmas, there will be approximately 300 children staying with us and we would be very grateful for gifts suitable for very young babies and toddlers, as well as children 11-18 years of age.
For general hospital use and all age children
- Nintendo switch Lite and popular new games G/PG rated
- Personal DVD players, Apple iPad Mini 2 (32GB), iPods, Sony Playstation 4 G/PG rated games, DVDs new movies (G/PG rated only) Nintendo games, CD players with ipod dock
- Portable Bluetooth speakers (JBL JR POP Kids Bluetooth Speaker)
- Movie vouchers, iTunes cards, EFTPOS, Eckersley’s gift cards.
- General art and craft supplies for Child Life Therapy such as small and medium blank canvases,glitter glue sticks, batteries.
- Stickers eg Disney Princess, Frozen, My Little Pony, Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol, Minions, Trolls
- Superheroes, pirates, unicorns, fairies, Barbie, Dinosaurs, mermaids, butterflies, flowers, cars etc.
Babies — 3 year-olds
- Toys - Peppa Pig, Pillow Pet, FlipaZoo,Thomas the Tank Engine, Sesame Street,
- Soft toys eg teddy bears 20cm in height, musical books, musical toys, baby rattles, Fisher-Price brand toys, Building blocks, Duplo.
3 - 7 year-olds
- Fingerling HUGS Plush Monkey, Hatchimals, FurReal Critters Munchin Rex Baby Dino, Little Live Pets, Scruff-a-Luvs toy pet, Pomsies Blossom Plush Interactive Toys, Little Live Wrapples,
- Toys manufactured as part of Shopkins, Barbie, Peppa Pig, Frozen, Fairies
- Dinosaurs, Marvel & DC Superheroes, Hot Wheels, Minecraft, Minions, Star Wars, PJ Mask, Paw Patrol
- Lego sets eg Lego Friends, Lego Junior, Lego DC Superheroes, Duplo. Fisher Price Medical Kit, Soft toys such as Teddy bears 20cm and unicorns (medium size), Pillow Pets, FlipaZoo. Anything unicorn. Sticker books, colouring books and pencils, crayons, Tea Party Sets (plastic). Fairy wings, tiaras & wands.
7 - 10 year-olds
- Fingerling HUGS Plush Monkey, Hatchimals, FurReal Soft toys, Little Live Pets, L.O.L Surprise Glam Glitter Series Dolls, BFF Furry Friends
- Scruff-a-Luvs toy pets, Pomsies Blossom Plush Interactive Toys, Little Live Wrapples,
- Colouring in books, pencils and crayons, painting sets, mosaic sticker sets, jigsaw puzzles, scrapbooking sets. Board games, card games, individual puzzle games
- Toys manufactured as part of Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Furbies,
10 - 12 year-olds
- Activity craft sets, scrapbooking kits, DIY kits e.g. beading sets, knitting sets. Velvet Art poster set with textas, jewellery craft kits. Typo notebooks, pens, pencil cases. Pusheen the Cat, Charlie & Lola books by Lauren Childs
- Toys manufactured as part of, Minecraft, Marvel and DC Heroes, Star Wars.
- iTunes cards, Eftpos gift cards.
- Books – In my Heart,: A Book of Feelings, Letters to my 12 year old self, Slumbies Slippers,
12 - 18 year-olds
- Bluetooth enabled headphones, Tilemate Bluetooth tracker, movie vouchers, iTunes cards, Eftpos gift cards
- Sports items, activity or craft packs (eg Diamond Dotz at Spotlight), make up and nail polish sets
- Johanna Basford colouring in books with Staedtler Noris colour 185 coloured pencils or Staedtler triplus colour 323 coloured pens
- Coloured insulated metal drink bottles, Teen “Breathe” magazine
- Typo notebooks, pens, pencil cases, micro light box
- Book - Letter to my teenage self, cosmetic bags, scrunchies
- Card games – Rat-a-tat Cat, Games - Rush Hour, Slamwich