Mental health services at The Children's Hospital at Westmead
The Outpatient department operates from 8.00am – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday
Phone: (02) 9845 2005
Fax: (02) 9845 2009
Location: Level 3 on Outpatients Street, Level 3, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
The Department of Psychological Medicine provides specialist mental health consultation, clinical and advocacy services for children and young people up to the age of 16 years, who receive ongoing care from a specialist medical or surgical service within the Children’s Hospital at Westmead.
This is not a crisis service.
If you know someone who needs help, contact the Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511.
If someone has attempted or is at immediate risk of attempting to harm themselves or someone else, call 000 immediately or present to your nearest emergency department, if safe to do so.
We are a tertiary referral health service, meaning that we primarily see children and young people up to the age of 16 that are:
- Admitted to Hall Ward, our acute psychiatric in-patient service
- Admitted to the medical wards of The Children's Hospital Westmead
- Receiving specialist outpatient care from another department within The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Receiving emergency care at The Children's Hospital at Westmead Emergency Department
- Referred by rural NSW child health specialists for consultation through the Child and Adolescent Telemedicine Psychiatry Outreach Service (CAPTOS)
We accept referrals from medical and surgical specialists within The Children’s Hospital at Westmead who have an ongoing relationship with the patient.
The Department is unable to accept referrals for children and young people within the general community or who are receiving care from another health facility.
Even when a child has been seen by Psychological Medicine during a presentation to the Emergency Department, this does not constitute eligibility the service.
To make a referral to the Department of Psychological Medicine
- For current inpatients – contact reception on (02) 9845 2005
- For outpatients – check referral criteria for eligibility and contact the Outpatients Intake Officer on (02) 9845 2005 or contact via email
- Requests for admission to our Acute Mental Health Unit, Hall Ward, is managed by the Ward. Please contact them on (02) 9845 1112 to discuss.
- Requests for admission to the Eating Disorders program is managed by the team. Please contact them on (02) 9845 2446 to discuss.
If the referral meets the Department’s criteria and is accepted, a clinician will be allocated. In instances where the referral is not accepted, the referrer will be provided feedback that includes alternative referral options.
If you do not receive a response from the department within four weeks, please contact the department to ensure your referral was received.
For children and teenagers
- Kids Helpline
- Youth Beyond Blue
- Alcohol and Drug Information (via CICADA)
- Young Carers Network
- Head to Health
- Carer Gateway
- Carers Australia
- Resourcing Parents
- Transcultural Mental Health Centre
Find a service
- Mental Health Line
- Find a Psychologist
- Find a Clinical Psychologist
- Your Health in Mind (Psychiatry)
- Family Referral Service