Nuclear Medicine at The Children's Hospital at Westmead
Hours: 8:30 - 5:00 Monday to Friday
Phone: (02) 9845 2890
Fax: (02) 9845 2892
Nuclear Medicine Location: Level 2, Department of Medical Imaging, Diagnostic Services Building.
PET Scan location: Westmead Hospital (Adult), Department of Nuclear Medicine and Ultrasound, PET suite.
The Department of Nuclear Medicine at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead is a specialist children’s nuclear medicine service for inpatients and outpatients.
The service is predominantly diagnostic, however, some therapeutic nuclear medicine is performed.
Currently, our Positron Emission Tomography (PET) service performs the largest number of paediatric PET scans nationally and services Sydney Children’s Hospital for a small number of patients.
We work closely with Medical Imaging and are co-located in the same building.
Nuclear Medicine service includes:
- using radiopharmaceuticals, both in-vivo and in-vitro, for diagnostic, therapeutic and investigative purposes.
- the measurement and interpretation of bone mineral density.
- acting in a consultative role, both medical and technical, in the diagnostic and therapeutic application of radiopharmaceuticals and radioisotopes in children.
- performing research into the application of nuclear medicine in paediatrics at a clinical and basic research level.
- incorporating nuclear medicine images with other modalities such as CT and MRI to improve diagnostic sensitivity.
Referrals and appointments
In general, children must be 14 years or younger (Bone Density 20 years or younger) to be seen as a new referral. Existing patients may be referred until 16 years of age. If you are unsure please contact the department directly.
Options for arranging appointments:
- Complete the webform
- Fax referrals to Nuclear Medicine 98452892
- Email referrals to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include the reason for referral, the child's DOB, results of previous investigations and family contact details with your referral.)
Dr Kevin London, Co Head of Department
Justine Trpezanovski, Co Head & Chief Nuclear Medicine Scientist
Theo Kitsos, Deputy Chief Nuclear Medicine Scientist
Julie Briody, Senior BMD Scientific Officer