My Health Record

What is My Health Record?

My Health Record is the name of the national digital health record system. Having a My Health Record means your important health information like allergies, medical conditions and treatments, medicine details, test or scan reports can be accessed through one system.

Healthcare providers like doctors, specialists and hospital staff can see it online from anywhere at any time when they need to, like in an accident or emergency.

Opting out

It is possible to permanently delete your record at any time. Contact and helpline information is available at the bottom of this page. If you opt out, you can get a My Health Record in the future.

Once you have completed the opt-out process, you cannot cancel your request.

However, if you decide later that you would like a My Health Record, you can re-register

Information for 14-17 year olds

From the age of 14

From the age of 14, you can take control of your record. This means parent and guardians will no longer be authorised to act on your behalf. However, you can make them your nominated representative.

If your parent is in control of your My Health Record, once you turn 14, no new Medicare data, PBS data or immunisation information will be added to your record.

However, clinical documents uploaded by a doctor, medicine dispense records uploaded by a pharmacist, or test results uploaded by a pathology lab will still be visible if your parent is in control of your record.

If you don’t already have a record

If you don’t already have a record, you can choose to register for a My Health Record. Alternatively, you can call the Help line on 1800 723 471.

If you are under 14 years old

If you are under 14 years old, you can take control of your My Health Record by calling the Help line on 1800 723 471. You will need to provide a letter from a healthcare provider or a court stating that you are a ‘mature minor’ who can manage your own health affairs.

Privacy settings

There are a number of privacy settings you can choose to set which will restrict access of who can see your My Health Record and what’s in it. You can set these controls by logging into your My Health Record, or by calling the Help line on 1800 723 471.

When you turn 18 years old

If you haven’t already taken control of your My Health Record when you turn 18 years old, parent and guardian access will be automatically cancelled. You will be sent a letter notifying you and encouraging you to take control of your My Health Record.

Opting out 

If you are 14 years or over, it is your choice to have a My Health Record. If you don’t want one, you can opt out by calling the Help line. You will need to verify your identity before you can opt out.


It’s up to you to decide who sees your My Health Record and what’s in it. You can choose to share your information with all or some of the healthcare providers involved in your child’s care.

By allowing your doctors to upload, view and share documents in My Health Record, they will have a more detailed picture with which to make decisions, diagnose and provide treatment.

You can also ask that some information not be uploaded to your record.

Read more about privacy and access


HealtheNet is the NSW partner for My Health Record.

HealtheNet is operated by eHealth NSW to connect your recent medical history from all NSW Local Health Districts with your My Health Record.

It provides NSW Health clinicians with secure and immediate access to this information.

HealtheNet also manages a clinical portal for doctors, nurses and allied health providers and provides a secure GP messaging service.

Cartula (My Health Memory) app

Do not confuse My Health Memory with My Health Record. My Health Memory provided by Cartula is an app that allows you to manage your appointments, review hospital documents and communicate with your care team at The Sydney Children's Hospitals Network.

My Health Memory is an initiative of The Sydney Children’s Hospital Network and is not currently connected with My Health Record.

For more information

Visit My Health Record
Help line 1800 723 471
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, go to National Relay Service
If you need assistance in another language, call 131 450

Last updated Friday 26th January 2024