Cerebral Palsy government payments and benefits

Find government benefits and vouchers that you may be eligible for.

NSW Government “Savings Finder”

The NSW Government is offering more than 70 rebates and vouchers to help you save on everyday costs and more. This includes scheme for energy and utilities, vouchers for family recreational activities, driving etc.

Book an appointment with a Savings Finder specialist

You can book a free 45-minute appointment with a Savings Finder specialist who'll help you to find and apply for rebates, vouchers, and discounts that you may be eligible for. You can book a face-to-face appointment at your most convenient service centre or a phone appointment.

At the appointment, the specialist may need to ask you some personal questions about your situation which includes your health, household assets and income. You can choose how much information you'd like to share or opt-out of answering a question or stop the appointment at any time.

Child Care Subsidy

The Australian government pay this subsidy directly to your childcare provider to reduce the fees you pay. You may be eligible if you or your partner meet all of the following:

  • care for your child at least 2 nights per fortnight, or have 14% care
  • are liable for fees for care provided at an approved childcare service
  • meet the residency rules. 
  • Visit the website

Parenting payment

To get this payment you must meet all of the following:

  • be under the income and asset test limits
  • meet principal carer rules
  • care for a child under 8 if you’re single or under 6 if you’re partnered
  • meet residence rules
  • not have claimed before the birth of the child.
  • Visit the website

Single Income Family Supplement

An annual payment of up to $300 to help eligible families. To get this you must:

  • have been eligible for Single Income Family Supplement since 30 June 2017
  • care for an eligible child
  • have 1 main income earner with a taxable income between $68,000 and $150,000
  • not have a second income earner with a taxable income above $18,000. 
  • Visit the website

Child Disability Assistance Payment

An automatic yearly payment if you get Carer Allowance for looking after a child with a disability or serious illness. Each year you can get up to $1,000 for each child who qualifies for Carer Allowance. To be eligible for the year payment, you must get Carer Allowance for a child younger than 16 on 1 July.

Carer Allowance

For people who give additional daily care to someone with a disability or medical condition, or an adult who is frail aged. To get this you must:

  • care for someone whose care needs score is high enough on the adult or child assessment tools
  • care for someone who'll have these needs for at least 12 months
  • meet an income test

You must complete a claim for Carer Allowance if you’re providing care for either a:

  • person 16 or older
  • child younger than 16 and don’t get Carer Payment for them.
  • Visit the website

Disability Support Pension

When your child turns 16, they may be eligible for their own income support payment. If you get Carer Payment or Carer Allowance, you’ll need to apply to transfer to an adult payment.

Your young person may be able to get the Disability Support Pension if they have a permanent physical, intellectual, or psychiatric condition that stops them from working.

Not everyone with disability or a medical condition can get DSP. To get DSP, you need to meet both: non-medical rules, and medical rules.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

A group of payments for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local state school. This could be because of geographical isolation, disability, or special needs.

To get this, your child must meet living, age, and study requirements, and one of the following:

  • is geographically isolated
  • has a disability or special education need
  • has no reasonable access to a government. 
  • Visit the website

Essential Medical Equipment Payment

A yearly payment to help with energy costs to run essential medical equipment or heating or cooling used for medical needs. You or the person you provide care for must meet all of the following:

  • need heating, cooling or certain eligible equipment for medical needs
  • have a Commonwealth Concession Card
  • pay for the energy running costs
  • be in Australia when you claim.

Dependent children can’t claim this payment. We’ll pay you $183 per year for:

  • heating or cooling used for medical needs
  • each piece of eligible essential medical equipment.
  • Visit the website

Health Care Card

A concession card to get cheaper medicines and some discounts if you get a payment from us.You may get a Health Care Card if you get specific payments or supplements from us. You’ll get it if you’re on the maximum rate of Family Tax Benefit Part A.

Carer's Registration Refund

If you receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance you may be eligible for a refund on some of the vehicle tax paid when registering a vehicle.


  • Commonwealth Carer Allowance recipients who are the registered operators of an eligible vehicle
  • Eligible vehicles must weigh between 976 kg and 2504 kg
  • If the vehicle is registered in joint names both operators must receive the carers allowance.
  • Visit the website

ACT Government “Savings Finder”

The ACT Government has a range of discounts, rebates, and subsidies. These may help relieve cost of living pressures in areas like housing, transport, bills, and dental care.

There are more than 65 ways the ACT Government can help you save on the everyday cost of living. The online “Savings finder” can help you find savings that you may be eligible for.

Last updated Wednesday 7th February 2024