Cerebral Palsy transport

Discover the services and schemes available to help you get places faster, cheaper and simpler.

Transport NSW Companion Card Scheme

The NSW Companion Card program is for people with significant and permanent disability who have a lifelong need for a high level of care to participate in community events and activities.

The Companion Card allows a person’s carer free entry into participating venues and events. The Companion Card is valid on most public transport in NSW, including NSW TrainLink Regional services.

Call the NSW Companion Card information line on 1800 893 044 or visit the website

NSW Carer's registration refund

If you receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance you may be eligible for a refund on some of the vehicle tax paid when registering a vehicle.

Visit the website

NSW Taxi transport subsidy scheme

The taxi transport subsidy scheme (TTSS) supports NSW residents who are unable to use public transport because of a severe and permanent disability. If you're eligible, you could receive a subsidy of 50% of a taxi fare, up to a maximum subsidy of $60 and only pay the remaining fare. This includes travel in wheelchair accessible taxis. 

Visit the website

NSW Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS)

IPTAAS may be able to give you financial assistance with your travel and accommodation expenses if you need to travel long distances for specialist medical treatment.

Visit the website

NSW Parking at public hospitals

Patients and carers may be eligible for concession rates on parking at NSW Health public hospitals. To be eligible you need to be receiving treatment over an extended period, or attending hospital more than twice a week (including carers of long-term patients who visit frequently).

Concessions are also available for holders of a:

  • Transport for NSW Mobility Parking Scheme permit
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card
  • Health Care Card.

Visit the website 

Disability parking permits in NSW

If the person you care for has a physical impairment, they can get an Australian disability parking permit that allows them to park in disabled parking areas. Their physical impairment can be temporary or permanent, and you will need a doctor’s certificate to apply.

Visit the website

Disability parking in front of home

If your child has a disability permit and there is limited street parking on your street, you can contact your local council and discuss having a disabled spot added in front of your house. You will then be able to park here with your child’s disability permit. 

Find the contact information of your local council 

Driving or riding with a disability

This NSW Government website has update information and resources for people with a disability about applying for and maintaining a licence to drive or ride.

Information includes:

  • The different license options for people with a disability
  • Driving assessments for people with a disability
  • Motorcycle riding for people with a disability
  • Modified vehicles for people with a disability

Visit the website

ACT Taxi Subsidy Scheme

The ACT Taxi Subsidy Scheme (TSS) provides financial assistance to ACT residents with a disability or significant mobility restriction preventing them from using public and community transport.The TSS is intended to assist members attend essential activities such as medical appointments, employment commitments, and social and family gatherings.

The TSS is not intended to meet all transport costs of its members. If you are eligible, you will need to apply for a TSS Smartcard. 

Visit the website

ACT Special needs transport for students

Special Needs Transport may be available for eligible students:

  • from home to the closest appropriate disability education setting located in an ACT public school
  • from school to home (or respite or after school care if it is available within the existing transport routes and if there is space on the bus). 

When applying for the Special Needs Transport program, parents, carers, or guardians must demonstrate their inability to transport or arrange transport for their children.

Students must:

  • be a registered NDIS participant with an approved and active NDIS plan
  • be a resident of the ACT
  • attend an ACT public school (not at their PEA school)
  • meet the ACT Special Needs Transport guidelines.

Visit the website

ACT Interstate Patient Travel Assistance Scheme (ACT IPTAS)

ACT residents who need to travel interstate to receive medical treatment may be eligible for the ACT interstate patient travel assistance scheme.

You are eligible for ACT IPTAS if you are:

  • a permanent resident of the ACT
  • enrolled, or eligible to be enrolled with Medicare, including asylum seekers
  • not receiving, or eligible for, financial assistance for travel and accommodation from third party
  • insurance or other Australian State and Territory government services
  • referred for medical care interstate by an ACT or Queanbeyan registered medical professional
  • referred to the service closest to the ACT that provides the medical care you need.
  • ACT IPTAS guidelines 
  • ACT IPTAS claim form 
Last updated Wednesday 3rd April 2024