This information is provided as a general guide to help you get to The Children's Hospital at Westmead.
The Children's Hospital at Westmead is located at the corner of Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead. Come via Hawkesbury Road, Westmead.
The Children's Emergency Department is on Hawkesbury Road, located between The Children's Hospital at Westmead and Westmead Hospital.
The Hospital is only minutes from the major centre of Parramatta, and about 35 minutes by train from Sydney city. Public transport to The Children's Hospital at Westmead is easy, with direct bus and train services, and connecting bus, train and ferry services from the city, Parramatta, Strathfield, Penrith and the North Shore.
For timetables and trip planning, call 131 500 or visit Transport for NSW
Directions for people travelling within Sydney
Westmead railway station is approximately 15 minutes walk. It is an easy access station with lifts, ramps and security. The station is staffed 24 hours.
- Trains from other lines change at Strathfield, Central, Granville and Lidcombe.
- For information, phone 131 500 or visit https://transportnsw.info or https://transportnsw.info/regional
The ferry leaves from Circular Quay, McMahons Point, Meadowbank and Rydalmere to Parramatta. Travel time from Circular Quay is about 55 mins.
- For information, phone 131 500 or visit https://transportnsw.info/routes/ferry
Many local bus services from all over Sydney connect at Parramatta. Ask your local bus company for advice, or check when you make your booking.
- The 711 bus connects the hospital to Westmead train station (about a 4 minute ride) and Parramatta train station (11 minutes) and runs approximately. every 30 minutes
- T-Way buses T61-T66 stop outside Westmead Adults Hospital on Darcy Road, a 7 minute walk to CHW. Services run approximately every 15 minutes.
- T-Way Buses offer wheelchair accessible services at limited times. Please consult the Transport Information Line and look for the accessible symbol to identify these services.
For information, phone 131 500 or visit https://transportnsw.info/routes/bus
Whether you’re planning ahead or on the move, there are a range of helpful transport apps to choose from.
Opal cards can be purchased online, or at Robins Nest Newsagency, 24-26 Railway Parade, Westmead (the nearest Opal card retailer to CHW). You can top up online, at the Opal Top Up machine at Westmead train station, or at any Opal Card retailer.
Westmead is about ten minutes drive from Parramatta and about 50 minutes from the city. Come via Hawkesbury Road, Westmead. Parent and visitor car parking is located off Hainsworth Street. There is a parking fee, and concessions are available for parents of long-term patients.
If you are going to your car at night, an escort is available. See the Security Office at the Main Entrance.
Floor plans and directory
The floor plans and directory guide (2021) has maps and information for each level of the hospital.
Directions for country families
If you are driving, follow the major routes from Penrith, Hornsby, Windsor, Liverpool or Sutherland.
From the Blue Mountains and west (Lithgow), change at Penrith, Parramatta or Blacktown.
From north and central coast, change at Strathfield.
From the south coast, change at Central.
From the south-west (Moss Vale/Campbelltown) change at Granville.
Located at the main entrance of our new hospital building on Hawkesbury Road, Entrance 10, street level. Look for 'Westmead Health Precinct' on the side of the building.
There is a 15-minute drop-off and pick-up zone outside the Children’s Emergency Department entrance.
There is also a dedicated drop-off and pick-up zone for patients with mobility access and who have Mobility Parking Scheme permits in the same location.
Car parking is available underneath the new hospital building in P5, enter via the main entry plaza and take the ramp down.
A multi-story parking complex is located on Hainsworth Street. To reach the carpark follow Hawkesbury road around the corner (right) to the roundabout. The carpark entrance is on the left exit from the roundabout. The parking fee is determined at the auto pay station prior to returning to your vehicle on exit. The auto pay stations accept coins, and notes up to $50 or credit cards and provide change as appropriate.
Timed Casual Fees (effective from 1 July 2019)
|First 15 minutes||Free|
|>1/4hr - 1hr||$6.80|
|>1hr - 2hrs||$10.10|
|>2hrs - 3hrs||$13.50|
|>3hrs - 4hrs||$15.80|
|>4hrs - 5hrs||$18.10|
|Maximum daily fee||$20.20|
Free parking (most street parking limited to 2 hours)
- Westmead - Hawkesbury Rd, Caroline St, Helen St, Jessie St and Hainsworth Street.
- Northmead - Redbank Rd, Beamish Rd, Brelogail, Bevan and Balfour Streets.
- Parramatta Park - parking bays located in Parramatta Park (entry via bottom end of Hainsworth Street).
Vehicles parking in these spaces must display a current Mobility Parking Permit issued by Transport for NSW to be eligible to park in these locations otherwise an infringement notice could be issued.
From Saturday, 1 July 2019, concessional parking rates will change across New South Wales health facilities, including The Children’s Hospital at Westmead. Any existing concessional rates that are not an improvement on the new scheme will also remain in place.
Who is eligible for concessions?
- All ongoing cancer treatment patients
- Long-term patients and their carers who are required to attend the hospital/facility for treatment, for more than one week
- Patients and their carers attending more than twice a week, including carers of long-term patients who visit frequently
- Cardiac rehab education and exercise class attendees
- Daily dressing outpatients
- Health promotion education class attendees
- Patients and their carers experiencing financial hardship
- People with a healthcare card, pensioner concession card, gold veterans affair card or a mobility parking scheme permit
- 0 to 3 hours: free
- 3+ hours: $5.60 (one exit only per 24 hours)
- 3 day ticket: $11.30 (Frequent use allowing multiple entries and exits in a 3 day period)
- 7 day ticket: $22.70 (Frequent use allowing multiple entries and exits in a 7 day period)
Any person with a Health Care Card, Gold Veterans Card, Pensioner Concession Card or Mobility Permit, are eligible for the following concessions, without completing a form. Please visit the Secure Parking office in level 2 (opposite Outpatients, between the Kids Plus Chemist and the Appliance Centre) to validate your parking ticket:
- 0 to 3 hours: free
- 3+ hours: $5.60 (one exit only per 24 hours)
How to apply for concessions:
If you are an inpatient:
- Please see the Clinical Support Administrator in the ward you are currently admitted to
You will be provided with a form which will be validated by a member of your clinical team if you are eligible
Take this validated form to the Secure Parking office on level two between the Kids Plus Chemist and the Appliance Centre to receive your concession rate.
If you are an outpatient:
If you have a health care card, pensioner concession card, gold veterans affairs card or a mobility parking scheme permit, please visit the Secure Parking office on level two between the Kids Plus Chemist and the Appliance Centre
If you do not have one of these cards, a member of your clinical team should complete an application form on your behalf. You can then take that form to the Secure Parking office.